Wednesday, February 7, 2018

My Thoughts on My First Two Gun Match

I recently participated in my first two gun match - actually my first firearms competition ever. While I finished in the low 70's out of 105, and I timed out on two stages, rather than leaving discouraged, I feel rather encouraged and wanting more.

But, before I run off and compete in my next match, I'd like to share my thoughts on my experience.

Come Humble:
The first law of both Socrates and Sun Tzu is to know thyself. Know your skill level with both of your firearms, and your physical fitness level and capabilities. 2 Gun matches emphasize both shooting skills and physical capabilities. Know where you stand in both of these areas; prepare and practice accordingly.

Practice Makes Perfect:
This reinforces my first thought. The guy who came in 2nd place has over 10 years worth of experience, which overcame many of his physical limitations. From my own experience, I would recommend practicing the following things: spinning the spinner (both pistol and rifle), the Texas star, long range rifle shooting (out to 300 yards at least), and 3 inch pistol targets within 30 feet. As for improving yourself, general strength training and endurance training (especially HI-IT) is what I'd recommend.

Gear Selection:
You don't have to use the highest of speed, lowest of drag gear available. You can actually get away with decent, entry level equipment. I used an entry level AR-15 and Condor Outdoor mag pouches and tactical belt. The Condor gear does have its problems: it can be bulky, floppy, and the cost can quickly rise. However, all of my pouches are still intact, none of my magazines fell out during the match. The decision is yours, if you want the best now so you don't have upgrade later, go for it; if you want something affordable now, it'll work. You also don't have to wear the most expensive, tactical clothing either. Plenty of people were wearing jeans, shorts, and t-shirts. Whatever you have can work.

Bring Everything You'll Need, Nothing You Don't:
I brought way too much stuff. I didn't need my range bag, and so much water either. On your first time out, you'll probably do the same, and that's ok - just note what you used, and what you didn't use, and make the correct changes next time. For me, I'll probably bring a backpack that has a dedicated water bladder compartment, and will more easily carry extra ammo, snacks, water, and medical supplies. This would save me some time.

Those are my thoughts. I hope it will help you prepare for your first 2 Gun match. It was an extremely fun match. All of the stages were fun and challenging. I can't wait to try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment