Tuesday, September 19, 2017

My Review of Brings the Lightning by Peter Grant

I haven't read many westerns. In fact, I've only read two. Brings the Lightning by Peter Grant is one, and it's good.

The other western I've read is Hondo by Louis L'Amour.

Peter Grant compares favorably to Louis L'Amour, and I would say that he is, at least, on par. At this point, the only thing that L'Amour has over Grant is shear quantity.

Brings the Lightning follows Walt Ames, a former Confederate cavalryman, who is trying to find his purpose in life after the Civil War. Ames' search takes him across the USA to the Utah territory, a journey that is fraught with danger and opportunity. Each hardship that he overcomes brings him closer to his goal and his purpose. But, as you can see by the subtitle of the book, that this is only the beginning.

Grant is a good writer, and the book is well paced, and it shows that this time period is something he is both knowledgeable of, and passionate about. The characters and the plot are both good. None of the characters feel like tropes, and all of them get enough time to flesh them out and for the readers to care about. While the plot could be considered a bit a-typical, it isn't inappropriate for the period and place, nor is it boring - as I stated the journey is full of adventure.

If you're interested in westerns, if you like Louis L'Amour, or if you're looking for something new and never read a western before, I highly recommend Brings the Lightning by Peter Grant. It is an entertaining tale and enjoyable journey. I look forward to reading book 2, as soon as I'm done with my current reading list.

Brings the Lightning is available on Amazon.com and is published by Castilia House.

No comments:

Post a Comment